Monday, March 2, 2015

Mapping

"Though she be but little, she is fierce." - Shakespeare

It is with great pleasure that I introduce you to Betty. The name Betty brings to mind a classic girl next door from the 60's who defies tradition to see the world à la Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday. I think we all have a little Betty in us. I know I certainly do. There are few things I love more than jet setting to a new destination. 

Though this shelf has a classic mid-century shape I wanted to do something a little unconventional and I'd been eyeing this Cavallini paper from Paper Source for quite a while. I taped off the bottom of the legs, gave her a couple coats of this fabulous mint green, and mod podged the pages and map on the back. Because the map was noticeably smaller than the backboard I simply grabbed a few pages from my favorite illustrated vintage dictionary to go around the edges as a border and ended up really digging the look. 

I love when hiccups turn into happy accidents.






I don't know why I worry so much when things don't work out like I'd originally planned.
I think the dictionary pages bordering the map are such an interesting contrast.
Is there anything cozier than a stack of vintage books?!

Playing in the background:


  • Jamestown Revival, Utah
  • Børns, Candy

3 comments :

  1. Found your blog via CL, love this piece. I bought a bunch of old maps recently with the intention of doing some similar projects. :) Glad I found your blog, I think we might be almost the same person, haha! I also live in DC/I'm a runner/bargain hunter/furniture re-doer, etc etc. Looking forward to following along! @KristinBushong on Insta and Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete