Sunday, March 22, 2015

Branching

Spring has officially sprung in The District! This means its time to bring out my fluorescently pale legs (shaving regularly), buying the SPF in bulk, Middle School tourists crowding the Metro, mowing the lawn, and no longer being able to use the cold as an excuse not to exercise. I'm beginning to realize Spring may not be my favorite season...

Give a warm welcome to Olive! Olive was a lucky find when my friend gave me first pickings before their upcoming estate sale. As you can see from the pictures below I had to strip the stain before painting. Unfortunately, I didn't figure this out until after my first coat of paint which promptly turned a brownish, yellow, green, blue. *Note to self: test out a small area before cockily painting an entire piece and having to strip all the hard work you've done.

One of my favorite furniture bloggers, Reeves at The Weathered Door, did an amazing video on stripping furniture if you need a quick tutorial! Check it out below.


Once I stripped the stain off I decided to put a protective coat over the wood in case there was any residual stain just waiting to yellow my paint job. I also wanted to ensure that I had a bit of chipping because why milk paint if you don't chip?! Olive is painted in Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint color, Mora. She is a gorgeous light blue with undertones of gray and green. 

Consider this my olive branch to Spring.











Playing in the Background:
  • Jamestown Revival, Utah...  yes, still. Loving this album.
  • Serenda Ryder, Harmony



No comments :

Post a Comment